Gout, also known as crystal-induced arthritis, is an arthritic condition occurring when uric acid crystals gather in body joints. Gout generally affects the larger joints of the big toes, but can also involve other joints like the knees, ankles, feet, hands, wrists and elbows. In rare cases, it might later affect the shoulder, hip or spine. Remember that gout generally does not spread from joint-to-joint.
There are many pain relief measures available on the market. Generally the health care provider prescribes typical gout medications that include:
• Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (in short NSAIDs)
• Adrenocorticotropic hormone (in short ACTH)
Allopurinol is Xanthine Oxidase Inhibitor that works by decreasing the amount of uric acid produced in the body and therefore, Allopurinol is generally prescribed for a person who produces excessive amounts of uric acid in the body. Uricosuric agents like probenecid or sulfinpyrazone works by helping the kidney to get rid of the extra uric acid produced in the body. Uricosuric agent is usually prescribed for a person whose kidneys are not capable eliminating the uric acid from the body.
Side effects of gout medicines include skin rash and is also a common side effect. This is due to the skin rash could be a symptom of an allergic reaction to Allopurinol. Hence, one has to evaluate any skin rash if it gets developed while one is on such medication.
Other rare, serious side effects include:
• Inflammation of the liver (hepatitis).
• Incapability of bone marrow to produce quality blood cells (the situation is known medically as aplastic anemia).
• Inflammation of blood vessels (medically known as vasculitis).
• Allopurinol hypersensitivity syndrome (featuring widespread rashes, fever, mouth ulcers, poor kidneys’ function, liver inflammation and other complications). This could be a life-threatening situation and may seek medical emergency.
Looking at the side effects of the gout medication, more and more people are getting towards the natural remedies. There are many herbs such as Sallaki and Guggulu that help overcoming gouty situation. Some of the Ayurvedic formulas such as Arthcare Capsules have been said to have favoring effects relieving painful symptoms of gout.