How dangerous are spider bites

Spiders are found all over the world. Since spiders are common, so are spider bites. In most cases, spider bites are wrongly identified.  Most of the red, raised swellings are given first aid by considering it to be a spider bite. Some people will be fortunate enough for their welt to be an after effect of spider bite. Less fortunate ones will be treated wrongly from some other infection.  However, spider bites are generally harmless. The fact is that many a spider bite goes unnoticed without being treated at all.

Almost all spiders are poisonous. It is with the help of this poison that they hunt their prey. But, since most of the spiders that we have to encounter with in the near surroundings are too small and their poison is too weak to be dangerous to humans. Certain particular species such as black widow spiders, red-back spiders etc are found to be more poisonous than their cousins such as brown widow spiders.

It is almost impossible to determine whether a victim has been bitten by a spider or not. Studies indicate that since most instances of spider bite get medically reported after more than three days, it is practically difficult to identify the precise species of the culprit. However, the body has its own ways to react to spider toxin. Redness, swelling, itching and pain in the bitten area are the general symptoms of spider bite.

Redness that spreads to body parts far away from the bite, drainage from the bite, increased pain, numbness on the bitten area, or a discoloration around the bite that looks like a halo are some of the characteristic features that help doctors in identifying a case of spider bite.

If injured by more toxic spider bites such as those by black widow spiders, muscle contraction and nerve function are affected adversely. Severe brown recluse spider bites can lead to symptoms such as sweating, chills, headache, body aches, stomach cramps, leg cramps, rapid pulse and exhaustion.


Leave a Reply