Yeast infections are especially itchy, crusty, and smelly. Often a dog starts with a rash or with simple itching but the skin thickens to an “elephant” skin appearance. The itch is extreme and the odor can be especially troublesome.
Parts of the body or the entire body can be affected. Mostly dogs are affected but cats can get yeast infections as well. Yeasts are the spore-like forms of fungi; Malessezia dermatitis is a fungal infection of the skin.
Spot Treatment for recurrent yeast infection dogs: If only a small area is involved, it is probably not necessary to bathe the entire animal. Special acetic acid wipes can be used to cleanse the affected area. Mixtures of vinegar and water can be used but the pet will develop a distinct vinegar odor.
Oral Treatment for recurrent yeast infection dogs: Ketoconazole rules when it comes to oral therapy. Typically a several week treatment is needed and there are numerous protocols involving different dosing schedules. Higher doses tend to be needed if recurrence is a problem. The extreme itch usually resolves within one week. This medication is expensive, especially in larger dogs, but often there is no way around its use.
Treatment for recurrent yeast infection dogs of the Underlying cause: It is important to realize that yeast overgrowth occurs in response to a primary problem be it allergy, seborrhoea or something else. If the underlying problem is not controlled, yeast dermatitis is likely to periodically recur.
Ingredients for Treatment for recurrent yeast infection dogs:
16 Oz. bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (standard 70%)
4 Tablespoons of Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops of Gentian Violet Solution 1%
Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well. Shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder. Purchase a flexible plastic bottle with the opening at the top so that the solution may be gently squeezed out and dispense solution to affected ears. The ideal is a hair-dye bottle available at a pharmacy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc, or a beauty supply store.
Treatment for recurrent yeast infection dogs procedure:
1) Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore:
Do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Just flush and then wait until inflammation has subsided, which will be about two days.
2) Warm the solution (as instructed above) and shake the bottle each time before using it for treatment.
3) Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle).
4) Massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue.
5) On first treatment: flood the ear twice, wipe with a tissue, and leave alone without massage.
6) The dog will shake out the excess, which can be wiped with a tissue.
Note: the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics, etc. so you may want to wear gloves.
The SCHEDULE of Treatment for recurrent yeast infection dogs is as follows:
• Treat TWICE a day for the first week to two weeks, depending upon severity of ears.
• After the second or third day you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton balls (see caution below).
• Treat ONCE a day for the next 1-2 weeks.
• Treat ONCE a month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog).
Caution: When using a Q-tip, only insert it as far into the ear canal as you can actually see. Use care to prevent the gunk from falling down into the ear canal.
Note: All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy, and some will special order items for you. One brand of the Gentian Violet 1% solution is “Humco” and the one ounce bottle typically sells for slightly over $3. It is called an “Antiseptic First Aid Antiinfective”. The Boric Acid powder in the 4 ounce size typically sells for about$3.25 and is usually in stock at the pharmacy. Users of the Blue Power Ear Treatment for recurrent yeast infection dogs have found that despite the alcohol, the dog will not object to even the first treatment. The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Gentian Violet Solution is an anti-infection agent, as it is a dye mixture that acts as a bactericide, fungicide, and anthelmintic (destroys worms). Remember, gentian violet will stain fur, clothing, etc.
Dog Joint Formula is an exclusive combination of natural supplements formulated to support healthy joints and avert the beginning of arthritis and other degenerative conditions in dogs
* Horse/Dog Joint Formula have 5200 mg of Glucosamine in each dose.
* It also comprises of Perna Mussel, MSM and Shark Cartilage to hold joint and cartilage health.
* It provides influential anti-oxidants.